Was the Buddha a Pessimist ?
In this book (a translation and adaptation of the Hindi Kya Buddha Dukkhavadi The? first published in Nepal in 2000) S.N. Goenka has explained the background of fundamental misunderstandings that have evolved about the Buddha and his teaching. These misconceptions arose when the Buddha´s teachings were lost to India and most of the world. Goenkaji rebuts these wrong views about the Buddha and resolves the misunderstandings with lucid examples from the Pali Canon.
• Was the Buddha a Pessimist?
• False Criticism of Pessimism
• Does a Doctor Promote Disease?
• Spread of Falsehood
• Happiness and Welfare of Many
• Dispenser of Happiness
• Definition of Happiness
• Overemphasis of Misery
• Was the Buddha an Extreme Pessimist?
• The Buddha´s Two Main Meditation Techniques
Published by Vipassana Research Institute, Juli 2001